Saturday, December 1, 2012

In The Beginning...


Gumby's officially opened in early 1990, and to very little fanfare.

What would eventually become one of West Virginia's premier music venues was still more than a year away from making its mark in that regard.

Downtown Huntington, West Virginia has long been a haven for drunkards and amateurs alike, and the options from which to choose for drinking the day's problems away was then, and still is, plentiful.

So, a new bar/club opening on Fourth Avenue was not surprising, especially in a town with a Marshall University student body that traditionally accounts for one-fourth of the city's population nine months out of any given year.

But, Gumby's was something completely different, even for those whom had frequented places like The Rock N Roll Café or Rocker's (another mid-to-late 1980's Huntington rock club), where outcasts, metal heads and various other fringe groups would congregate.

The club's appearance, for which it has now become infamous, was firmly intact from the outset - it was dimly lit with unconventional decor and, most memorably, grungy .

I distinctly recall my first visit to Gumby's in the spring of 1993, to see a double bill that consisted of Black Cat Bone and Huntington's own Electric Lullaby.

(Russ Fox, Mark Harlan and Brian Lusher, Electric Lullaby, 1992)


I was 16-years-old at the time, and a few months earlier had hit on a concept and crafted what I believed was a fool-proof fake ID, knowing full well that I would expose it to the scrutiny of someone trained to identify such things.

On that night, I presented this ID to the doorman at Gumby's, and he was able to quickly ascertain that it was fraudulent.

When questioned about its authenticity, I explained to him that I was not there to drink, but to simply see the bands (which was an entirely factual statement).

To his credit, he recognized the sincerity of my tone and demeanor, and allowed me to enter.

My first impression of Gumby's was what I imagined CGBG to have looked like, circa 1977. (This comparison was later confirmed when I had the opportunity to visit New York City's fabled punk dive in 1998.)

For all intents and purposes, it was a shit hole, and I mean that in the most flattering of ways.

Ask anyone who spent any amount of time in the place and they'll likely tell you the same.

But, that's what gave Gumby's its charm and character, and why so many people, to this very day, hold it in such high regard.

By 1993, Gumby's was hosting live music multiple times a week, but in 1990 it was, more or less, an alternative dance club that would book the occasional live act, without the benefit of an actual stage and/or public address system.

Those early live performances featured the likes of F.N.G., Government Cheese and West Virginia's one-man band, Hasil Adkins.

(Hasil Adkins, as he appeared on the cover of his 'Achy Breaky Ha Ha Ha' album)

("The Haze" would appear multiple times at Gumby's over the years, and the stories of the drives to Boone County, West Virginia, to pick him up became the stuff of legend. Parts of his 1993 album 'Look At That Caveman Go!' were actually recorded at Gumby's.)

While the club was still searching for its identity, John Kerwood brought Brian Barlow on board and this partnership would, for the next four-and-a-half years, solidify Gumby's reputation as a must-play venue.

Barlow was well connected within music circles and would serve as the club's primary booker for nearly the entire duration of its run.

The first notable live show this pairing brought to Gumby's (and one that is still talked about today) was when GG Allin appeared with his band, The Murder Junkies, in November 1991. (Coincidentally, the bill also featured Hasil Adkins.)

(An undated photo of a typical GG Allin live performance)

Allin had been released from a Michigan prison earlier that year after having served two years for "assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder" to that of a female companion.

This tour was to have signaled his comeback, and the jaunt he took down the East Coast that fall brought him to Gumby's for a performance that, in typical GG fashion, featured blood, excrement and the insertion of microphones in places previously unthought of. (Until recently, a video from this performance was available for viewing on YouTube, but was pulled by website administrators for obvious reasons.)

While it was now dedicating itself to hosting national recording artists, Gumby's biggest contribution was, much like Lexington's Wrocklage, allowing up-and-coming local bands to perform nearly as often, or as openers for those acts.

For a time in the late 1980's, local bands in Huntington were resigned to playing sets that consisted mostly of cover songs because club owners were hesitant to let them perform their own original material at the risk of alienating its clientele.

Gumby's, however, took that chance and not only enabled those local bands but helped to foster a growing music scene in Huntington as a direct result.

Over the next few years, that scene would blossom into something its creators could have likely never conceived.

5 comments:

  1. I preferred and prefer the phrase "double-barreled black hole" (referring to its two-storied flat-black grunginess, of course) to describe Gumby's.

    I was the one that suggested they crucify Gumby, although on the wall, not on the back of the DJ booth upright running up through the bar(where he was only visible in the mirror): "Gumby died for our sins".

    If clubs go to the afterlife when they die, Gumby's oughta be waiting, welcoming partiers from both sides.

    I didn't know Barlow was the booker, I just thought he was another regular loonie.

    RIP Gumby's and Kerwood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gumby's... what can I say? I'll try to drudge it up from the sludge of my brain pan. I went to Marshall from '93 to '95 and "Scumby's", as we lovingly called it, was a home away from dorm room.

    My buddies and I began every weekend (and often much time in between) hitting the plasma center way down 4th, make our way back to spend our new "blood" money on a bag of goodies, and, of course, hit Gumby's for happy hour to buy pitchers of Long Island Ice Tea. The lack of blood, nothing but a plasma center cookie in the belly, drugs, and far too much booze on the table for any grouping of three guys to ever have made me feel like Alex and his droogs sharpening up for a night of the old ultraviolence.

    The place was a shotgun box of a building. Bar to the left, stage and bathrooms in the back, and an upstairs. Up top was a long dark room filled with ratty couches; best place to go do illegal things while waiting for the bands to start. Incense was always lit.

    Someone had put their foot through the bottom of the urinal, you pissed through the hole and let it run between your feet to the drain in the middle of the floor. What a wonderful place!

    I saw Afghan Whigs, Cycomotogoat, and the great Jesco White there. His wife asked me to mic his feet, which I did, and then was promptly thrown out when I started banging the mic against the floor to the beat. Only time I can remember being physically picked up by a bouncer and thrown out of a bar directly into a parked car - only time I can remember.

    Cool to see others can remember too!

    BG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every recollection I have, it’s as if my eyes are filled with wood dust and it’s a dark beautiful place. The smell of cheap clear liquor and something burning will never leave my nostrils still today-you could get tattooed on a couch and eat 7 hits of microdot in the same visit -place was dope as fuck..especially when you were 17

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so totally a place of its time.....I went to Marshall in 1991, cause my daddy wanted me to, lol. I failed out two years later cause of gumby's, lol. I do not remember this place as a "home away". To me, it was a new home. Not a "must place to play" for any new artist.... to me, it was Pete. The doorman the other poster brought up, who yeah.... that was back in the day. He always smelled of taco bell and bad choices. The bartender....I wanted to sleep with him, but still can't remember his name, though he served me well drinks for years, lol. And Jon kirwood, the wizard begins the mask. The guy who sat in his tucked away place between the downstairs floor and the heroin couches upstairs. And would shout out, with all earnestness "Why don't you all go home? Its ok...I'll make money on you, but really..... you can't stay here. So get out. Or don't. I don't care. " It was a time and a place in the beauty of grunge movement, but before there were documentaries about how Huntington became the heroin capital of the United States. I've never shot glory into any vein I have, moved on and got a degree in journalism from a community College. Raised a couple of amazing kids.. I'm 48 now..... and looking back....I can honestly say I never felt so free. I was THAT girl. The girl with the angst. I wore my flannels, bounced to Rusted Root before they went disney....went home and smoked opium with a Brazilian exchange student....heard Nirvana on repeat for the first time....flat-footed with jessee white on that dirty square of plywood.... and watched gg allin's drummer lay down aftershow asking for a pretty girl to stick his drumsticks up his ass. You know..... and after gg, one of the last true "punks" of music had.... well just did what he did at every show. God bless his mother, lol. I learned pride at gumbys. How NOT to be a rich, privileged, coal miners daughter. It was my generations equivalent of the grateful dead. I would go back in a heartbeat. Never so free.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoma L. ArchambaultMay 19, 2022 at 6:58 AM

    Wow, Gumby's! What blast from the past... I had the time of my life there within those dingy walls of bricks and couches. I had left an abusive home and lived with rage of a totally negative nature. Gumby's leveled me out and I wasn't alone. I recall Kirwood and Chris behind the bar. I was quite a wreckless drinker and Gumby's would serve me all the poison I wanted and I wanted all of it. I saw Hasil Adkins many times there and the Murder Junkies with GG Allin. For some reason, GG was not promoted? I recall BSing with Dino, clothed... Little did I know I would talk him again in about 20 years later in Morgantown, WV along with Merle Allin. I mentioned Gumby's and both Merle and Dino had some fond memories too share about Gumby's. My memories of Gumby's are close to 35 years ago and they are hazy due to my absolute abandon and consumption of whatever came my direction. I gained a freedom within these walls of Gumby's and that drill sargent wanne be step dad was not there yelling at me! Even the nights without bands and Kirwood in the DJ booth were legendary. He would blast The Cure for me as loud as the system would allow. Kirwood liked me for some odd reason. My mother visited Gumby's years later and was hailed as the "Mother of Zoma" by Kirwood... I was a punk, even before I discovered Gumby's. I remember my parents taking me to a freakn Grateful Dead (ugh!) concert (Starlake) on my 18th birthday and the Violent Femmes opened ! Awesome!!! Huntington, WV was a great to place to escape in and The Ramones played at the 1988 Springfest. My buddy Bill Hicks was a doorman at Gumby's with his perfect mullet. Bill was another kid escaping the shit of small town West Virginia. And we partied! I remember tanks of nitro glycerin upstairs in the hive of couches and black walls. Apparently, the tanks were self serve at a local tank yard? I wish I had more details to write but I was very reckless and lived with an absolute disregard for myself. I only wanted too forget and Gumby's did that for me?
    Take care,
    Zoma L. Archambault

    ReplyDelete